The world of standardisation is represented at international level by ISO and IEC. CEN and CENELEC at European level co-operates with ISO and IEC, on the base of the Vienna and Dresden protocols. CEN and CENELEC standards are in general based on IEC/ISO standards.
The European approach
The European approach is based on the fundamental principle of one standard, one test and supplier's declaration of conformity:
- one standard: support to the development of world wide standards under one single authority (IEC and ISO);
- one test: support to the establishment of mutual recognition agreements on the basis of standard harmonisation and reciprocity;
- manufacturer's declaration of conformity: means to avoid third party certification. In addition CECAPI favours the use of quality marks as a tool to exploit marketing differences.
- CECAPI is fully committed to support the development of international standards whenever they respond to the needs of the market and of the consumers
- CECAPI fully supports the New Approach strategy of the European Commission
- CECAPI is a co-operating partner of CENELEC since 1998
- Industry representatives are active through their national standardisation bodies in the CENELEC and IEC technical committees
- Voluntary 3rd party certification to National marks in markets where it is desirable